Report change of GP (for FAVORIT CASA and Provita MediCasa customers)

You can use the form below to report a change of GP. First please check whether your GP is included in SWICA's directory of doctors. To do this, select your basic insurance model and send us your new GP’s name. If your new GP is not included in the directory, please contact SWICA Customer Service.

The customer service line is available whenever you want to call – even outside office hours and at the weekend.

Free 24-hour hotline: 0800 80 90 80
SWICA offices

My new GP:

* Compulsory field