Benefits included in basic insurance
The various basic insurance models all offer the same benefits. The only difference between the models is the choice of first point of contact for medical questions. The benefits provided under basic insurance include:
- Conventional medical treatment and complementary medicine
- Hospital stays in the general ward
- Emergency transport and search and rescue operations
- Treatment abroad in emergencies
How the HMO model works
- Direct access to a network of doctors and therapists
- Doctor can be chosen from a comprehensive directory of health centres
- You get a discount of between 10% and 22.5% on your premium (learn more). Use our premium calculator for an easy way to compare premiums for SWICA basic insurance plans and your potential savings: go to premium calculator.
To the directory of health centres
Frequently asked questions about the HMO model
- In emergencies
- Children up to the age of 18 can be treated by a paediatrician without referral
- Appointments with an eye doctor or a gynaecologist
- When getting treatment during a temporary stay abroad
When you switch from the STANDARD basic insurance plan to the HMO model, SWICA gives you a discount of between 10% and 22.5% on your premiums. The exact discount depends on where you live, your age and your chosen excess. Below, we have provided examples of how the minimum and maximum possible discounts are determined under the HMO plan:
- Minimum discount: Adult aged 26 or over, living in Schwyz, excess: CHF 300, no accident cover, standard premium: CHF 469.40, with 10% discount: monthly premium of CHF 422.50.
- Maximum discount: Adult aged 26 or over, living in Stein am Rhein, excess: CHF 300, no accident cover, standard premium: CHF 513.00, with 22.5% discount: monthly premium of CHF 397.60.
The HMO plan is not offered in the following cantons: Glarus, Graubünden, Jura and Valais.
You can see the possible premium discount for you directly in our premium calculator:
Calculate your premium now
Discover all the ways to optimise your premium
You can also benefit from lower co-payments if you have also taken out any supplementary insurance with SWICA. SWICA is the only health insurance company that applies co-payments from SWICA basic insurance to SWICA supplementary insurance. This means your maximum annual co-payment is significantly lower than it would be with other health insurers.
More about the combination advantage
Exclusive services and advantages free to all SWICA customers
- Free, 24-hour telemedicine service from santé24 doctors and medical staff
- SWICA customer service available 24/7 in Switzerland and abroad
- Expert advice on medication, exercise, nutrition, medicinal plants and vaccinations
- active4life programme with 100 benefits and discount offers at selected partners
Discover all of the SWICA advantages
Outstanding customer satisfaction
What our customers have to say
Thanks a lot for all you've done.»