Wasps and bees are most active in August and September, and they will invariably discover the smell of delicious food and sweet-smelling perfumes and sun cream. Moreover, bright colours can also attract small insects. For wasps and bees, stinging is a means of self-defence, but for us it causes swelling, itchiness and pain.
A bee sting is quite easy to identify because the stinger and venom sack remain clearly visible at the place of the sting.
If the stinger remains in the skin, be sure to remove it as quickly as possible. But don't pull it out with your fingers, because this will cause the venom sack to empty into the wound. Instead, use tweezers or a tick card.
Approximately three to four percent of the Swiss population is allergic to insect bites. An allergic reaction involves symptoms that occur within only a few minutes – often also in a place far away from the sting – in the form of itchiness, swelling, nettle rash, vomiting, heart palpitations, and loss of blood pressure, among other things. In the worst case, the person may experience a so-called anaphylactic shock (cardiac arrest, unconsciousness, or respiratory arrest). It is essential to contact a doctor immediately in such a case. A doctor can also prescribe an emergency kit with medicines for alleviating allergic reactions and stabilising the circulatory system.