Stress has become a endemic condition in our service society. Having to constantly be available, coping with hectic work situations, and managing our packed schedules leaves us with little time to rest.
Permanent stress, however, can damage our health and lead to headache, back pain, tension, sleep disorders, high blood pressure, and digestive problems. For these reasons, we recommend that you plan some time in your daily life in which to switch off:
- Do sports. Sports requiring strong concentration are very effective in helping you to forget about everyday worries that may be bothering you.
- Take a walk in the woods or a nice park. Being in a green environment will help you to unwind.
- Meet up with friends as a way of getting a new perspective on things.
- Try some digital detox and put away your mobile phone and laptop. Read more about this in our health tip titled «Digital detox: going offline».
- Reward your body and treat yourself to a massage.
- Thermal spas, swimming pools and saunas are excellent places for relaxation.
- Meditation and yoga are helpful in calming the mind and collecting your thoughts.
- Relaxation techniques, such as Jacobson’s progressive muscle relaxation or autogenic training, are easy to learn and will help you to relieve tension.
- Sleep guarantees recovery because it calms your breathing, lowers your blood pressure and slows your heartbeat. Anyone who sleeps enough will automatically feel less stressed.
Treat yourself to a rest
SWICA rewards personal preventive healthcare in the form of exercise, nutrition and relaxation (e.g. fitness club memberships, massage, relaxation courses) with generous contributions from its supplementary insurance of up to CHF 800 per year. You can find out more here.